Monday, August 3, 2009

Balancing in an Unbalanced World

As of the beginning of June I became jobless. I knew it was coming and I had arranged a job for the summer to give me some time to find a good job. When it fell through I didn't panic, I wasn't happy about it but I figured how hard is it to get a job? WAY harder than expected! In the last 2 months I have filled out an application for or sent a resume to over 200 places! I have had one "interview" were I was asked to pretend I was a tube of toothpaste and put on a skit. I realize I do not have an advanced degree but it shouldn't be this hard.

The economy has given us a hard hit! At this point we are over $100,000 underwater in our mortgage and paying about 75% of our income towards the mortgage, JUST the mortgage! We have been trying to get a modification or something but Chase has lied to us every step of the way. We contacted our lawyers this morning and hopefully they can get through to them better than we can.

With no job you would think our house would be spotless and I would have a freshly cooked meal and a packed lunch for my hubby every day. Well that's what I would hope to do anyways :-) I'm not quite that good.

We have been working on cutting back on everything, pinching pennies, using coupons and general thriftiness. I am very proud of our efforts though we still have a long way to go. After a year of marriage my hubby sometimes forgets that we can't just run out and buy whatever we want.

I also have tried to start pulling in a little money. I started making aprons and am hoping to have a store set up on Etsy by the end of the week. It isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped. My machine likes to eat fabric, my fingers aren't as callused as they once were, and for some reason no matter how much careful I am there is always find something that needs to be "redone." Maybe being a perfectionist isn't a good idea, but if I'm asking people to pay money for my product I want every single thing to be done to the best of my ability.



In other news, our classes are starting on the 12th for foster/adopt. The 13th we will get our application and found out specifics for everything we need to do. We are trying to prepare our house for a few kids now. Looking for super cheap lots of baby clothes, toys, beds, and all the other essentials for children.

I start school soon! I probably overstepped what I can handle with that, but I've done it before and I will probably do it again.

My nephew will be here by the end of the month!

1 comment:

xldrpepper said...

wish you the best of luck and hope to see the aprons up soon!